UPDATE: Richard Dawkins recently suffered a stroke and won't be headed to Australia after all. Fortunately it wasn't too serious and he'll probably make a full recovery. The remarkable evolutionary biologist will be missed at this year's Perth Writers Festival, but below are a few witty, crazy, and even controversial quotes to remember him by.
There is no denying Richard Dawkins is one of the world's foremost scientific minds in the field of evolutionary biology. And without his seminal 1976 book The Selfish Gene we probably would be calling internet memes something else.
But for a smart guy, he says some pretty dumb things from time to time, especially when he unleashes on Twitter, the notoriously unforgiving social medium of his choice.
In honour of Dawkins's upcoming talk at the Perth Writer's Festival about the second volume of his autobiography "A Brief Candle in the Dark", here are 13 of the most insensitive and odd comments we gleaned on his Twitter feed.
1. When he hated on unborn babies.
2. When he suggested parents take "survival of the fittest" into their own hands.
3. When he challenged his followers to "deplatform" him.
4. And when he practically told a person that if they were drunk when they were raped, it's pretty much their own fault.
5. When he picked on a little kid and his science project.
6. When he was so passionately feminist that he went full circle and became an anti-feminist instead.
7. When he was finally on-brand, and hated on creationists.
8. When he had no chill about God at all.
9. When he confused everybody by trying to classify rape.
10. When he tried to fight Islamophobia by defending it.
11. When he pitched this sarcastic ISIS recruitment ploy, and just made things worse.
12. When he tried to encourage free debate by conflating an already volatile stereotype.
13. When he dismissed criticisms with this ad hominem response.
It's safe to say Richard Dawkin's often confusing and inaptly satirical Twitter presence is summed up by his own apt retweet: