• Shanghai Port players celebrate after Guangzhou's Zhang Linpeng (C) misses a last ditch penalty (CSL)Source: CSL
Aussie Aaron Mooy’s Shanghai Port side has snatched a second-place finish in the Chinese Super League with a narrow 1-0 win against rivals Guangzhou FC

WATCH the best of the 2021 Chinese Super League season with extended highlights of the remaining rounds via SBS on Demand.

And from March, SBS On Demand will bring you LIVE action from the 2022 Chinese Super League season - including two games each week for all 30 rounds LIVE and FREE - with commentary in both English and Mandarin.

A penalty miss from Guangzhou’s Zhang Linpeng deep into injury time allowed Shanghai to snatch the 1-0 win in the final game of the campaign and leapfrog into second place on the ladder.

Zhang sent his spot-kick wide of Yan Junling's goal eight minutes into added time to deny the eight-time champions a draw that would have guaranteed Guangzhou the runners-up spot for the second successive season.

Liu Zhurun had given Shanghai the lead 28 minutes into the game when he beat Guangzhou goalkeeper Liu Shibo to Lu Wenjun's pass to deftly direct the ball home.

Read More
WATCH: Extended Round Highlights - Mooy nets brilliant brace
Socceroos star Aaron Mooy has kept Shanghai Port’s Asian Champions League qualification hopes alive after scoring a brace in a 2-1 win against Chinese Super League rivals Guangzhou R&F.

The result moves Shanghai onto 45 points, one more than Guangzhou, and six behind new champions Shandong Taishan at the end of a season heavily affected by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tuesday's matches completed a disjointed campaign that started in April and saw the league's 16 teams divided into two groups played in biosecure centralised bubbles to try to limit domestic travel.

The top four teams in each group advanced to the championship rounds, which were delayed until December as the league was suspended for four months to accommodate the national team's involvement in Asia's World Cup preliminaries.

Shandong, who had wrapped up their first title since 2010 with three games remaining, finished the league season with a 1-1 draw with fourth-placed Changchun Yatai.

Hao Wei's side could complete the league-and-cup double on Sunday when they take on Shanghai in the Chinese FA Cup final.

Meanwhile, Slaven Bilic's Beijing Guoan climbed up to fifth with a 1-0 win over Shenzhen FC while Guangzhou City handed Hebei FC a 2-1 defeat.