Whether it's in the pages of her books, or through the characters that she writes, Caitlin Moran has a talent for voicing our hidden truths. The author, columnist, key note speaker, and now television writer for Raised by Wolves, a series based upon her unconventional childhood and co-written with her sister Caroline, has connected with women in a way that makes us think Moran's words might just be the little voice inside our heads.
Below are 11 times we're certain she was.
1. When someone tells you they're not a feminist.
“Do you have a vagina? And do you want to be in charge of it? If you said ‘yes’ to both, then congratulations – you’re a feminist!” – from her book The How To Be A Woman.
2. When you're caught between your champagne tastes and your need to, like, survive.
"If I'm going to spunk £500 on a pair of designer shoes, it's going to be a pair that I can a) dance to Bad Romance in and b) will allow me to run away from a murderer, should one suddenly decide to give chase. That's the minimum I ask from my footwear." – from her book The How To Be A Woman.
3. When you philosophise about life's great mysteries...
"I figure for [Solange] to be that angry, Jay-Z has commented on one of three things: her love-life, her family or her hair." - from her book How To Build A Girl.
4. And stumble upon your own genius.
5. When you look back upon your childhood with fond memories.
6. And not-so-fond ones...
7. When you find your happy place.
"A library in the middle of a community is a cross between an emergency exit, a life raft and a festival. They are cathedrals of the mind; hospitals of the soul; theme parks of the imagination." – from her book The How To Be A Woman.
8. When you really have nothing to wear.
“When a woman says, ‘I have nothing to wear!’, what she really means is, ‘There’s nothing here for who I’m supposed to be today.” – from her book The How To Be A Woman.
9. When you’re resigned to a life of singledom.
10. When you can't understand why people are ever mean to other people.
11. But mostly when you’re logic for why you deserve better is infallible.
“Batman doesn't have to put up with this shit--why should we?” – from her book The How To Be A Woman.
Check out more of Caitlin Moran's truth bombs on Raised by Wolves. Series 1 and 2 box sets, available to watch for free on SBS On Demand.