• Falling in love on your gap year may end up costing a significant amount of time, money and stress. (Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Single man seeks woman who loves box sets, long walks, and remaining in the European Union.
By
Alyssa Braithwaite

29 Jun 2016 - 12:55 PM  UPDATED 29 Jun 2016 - 1:07 PM

The British population has been divided by the Brexit referendum, which saw 52 per cent of people vote to leave the European Union, and the other 48 per cent vote to stay.

But young singles trying to find a date in the wake of the controversial vote have reason to be optimistic - or at least find someone to drown their sorrows with.  

A new dating app promises to hook up people who voted to remain in the EU with others of their ilk.

Remainder is "the dating and social app for the 48%", and was created by "two ordinary voters" who wanted to cheer everyone up after a bad day.

"'A problem shared is a problem halved' and what we never managed to give Brussels was our British sense of humour," they wrote.

 

"Voted to Remain and now you're heartbroken? Cheer yourself up by meeting someone who's in the same boat," says the website.

There is also a version for people outside the UK: "Want to date or meet Brits, but worried they voted Leave? Meet someone who welcomes foreigners to Britain". 

The app started as a joke on Friday afternoon after the EU referendum result came through, but the people behind it say they have had thousands of people sign up since the website went live and they are now crowdfunding the investment needed to get the app and service completed.

But early sign-ups can look forward to invitations to exclusive events in Remain-voting cities like London, Brighton, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

More on Brexit
JK Rowling shuts down so many people over Brexit
“Welcome to our post-referendum, anti-elitist, in-touch-with-the-people politicians.”