Tuesday August 13, 2013 was one of the biggest days in touch football history. On this day, the NRL and Touch Football Australia strategic partnership was announced with an intention to develop participation and game development in both sports.
Because of this, touch football is very much part of the rugby league family and has increasingly developed relationships with many of NRL clubs. Most recently, the Melbourne Storm and Touch Football Australia announced a partnership which should see touch football participation increase significantly in Victoria.
This week I caught up with young touch football superstar Hannah Dybal.
Hannah is 18 years old and studying at university to become a primary school teacher. She started playing touch football when she was 6 in her brother's touch football team and has since then represented Australia in the 18's, 20's and open women's divisions.
1. Complete this sentence. When I am not playing touch football I am…?
Working or studying.
2. What is your warm-up song?
I usually listen to whatever is being played by the rest of the team but if i had to choose one it's 'Not Giving In' by Rudimental.
3. What has been your favourite moment in women's sport this year?
Seeing the men's, women's and open touch football teams taking out a clean sweep in all three divisions at the Trans Tasman Tour in New Zealand earlier this year.
4. What is your favourite Taylor Swift song?
I'm not a major fan, but I would have to say Wildest Dream or Love Story.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years' time?
In 5 years' time I would like to have completed my university degree and be teaching in a primary school… and of course, still playing touch football!
6. Favourite sport (other than touch football)?
I used to be a soccer player, so I would have to say soccer is my next favourite sport to play.
7. Who was your hero/heroine growing up?
Sarah Peattie who was the then Women's Premier League captain when I was coming through the touch football ranks.
8. What are you watching/streaming on TV right now?
I don't have much time for TV series… but I have to admit I am sadly a Home and Away fan.
9. Are you a cat or a dog person?
Definitely a dog person, even though i do have a cat and no dog at the moment.
10. If I was to make a movie about your life, who would play you?
My favourite actress is Julianne Hough so I would have to go with her.