Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
Hilopites, the traditional Greek pasta, with chicken in a rich tomato sauce is a winter favorite which can be enjoyed all year round! Angela Nikoletou has the recipe.
Slow-cooked spiced chicken with hilopites
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or 6 chicken thighs on the bone
1 onion, diced
½ cup red wine (optional)
2 cans tomatoes, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks or 2 tsp ground
1 tsp allspice berries or ½ tsp ground
1 tsp cloves or ¼ tsp ground
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups of hot water or chicken stock
- Joint the chicken.
- If using whole spices, crush the allspice berries and cloves in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder
- In a heavy based saucepan, add half the olive oil and sauté the chicken until it begins to brown and remove from the pot (you may need to do this in batches)
- Add the remaining olive oil and onion and stir until it softens. Add the wine and stir
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cloves and allspice and season with salt & pepper.
- Add about 4 cups of hot water (or chicken stock) and simmer until the chicken is cooked - about 45 minutes (you may need to add more hot water).
- Serve with home made hilopites and some grated cheese
Good luck! Καλή Επιτυχία!