Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
The combination of pumpkin and feta might surprise you pleasantly in this recipe.
Pumpkin & feta fritters
600g grated pumpkin
1 onion, finely diced
½ cup each of dill and parsley, chopped
½ cup grated mitzithra, parmesan or pecorino cheese
250g feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup self-raising flour
Olive oil for frying
- Grate pumpkin and squeezed all excess water from the flesh.
- In a small fry pan sauté the onion till soft.
- In a large bowl, add the pumpkin, sautéed onion, cheeses, herbs and eggs. Mix well and season with black pepper
- Add the flour and mix through. Let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick fry pan and add olive oil, so the base is well covered
- Using a tablespoon, add dollops of mixture and cook until golden, keeping the heat on medium otherwise if it is too hot they will not cook through. Turn over until cooked
- Remove and place on kitchen paper to drain. Continue with remaining mixture.
* Recipe by Angela Nikoletos