Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
If you’re looking for a tasty green salad that can easily act as both a light lunch as well as a quick healthy snack for when you’re feeling extra hungry, then look no further.
Zucchini, green bean & pea salad
250g green beans
250g peas (fresh or frozen)
1 clove garlic
Juice of a lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh mint leaves (or other herbs you like)
Mitzithra (Greek cheese) or salted dry ricotta for grating
- Slice zucchinis into thin strips using a peeler
- Coat with a light drizzle of olive oil and char on a hot grill. Set aside
- Remove tops from the beans and shell peas
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a rapid boil and cook the beans for 2 minutes
- Remove and add to a bowl of iced water to ‘refresh’ for a minute. Drain and set aside
- Repeat this process with the peas
- Crush the garlic clove and place in a small plate. Cover crushed garlic with the lemon juice and set aside till needed. This will take away the strong garlic flavour.
How to assemble the salad
To assemble salad, mix the zucchini, peas, beans, mint leaves, garlic with lemon juice and drizzle with olive oil. Season and taste (you might like to add more lemon juice or olive oil). Grate some mitzithra or salted dry ricotta or feta cheese on top, before serving.
- To make this recipe vegan don't add cheese