SBS Radio App

Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience

Raman Hothi called his cousin in India and told him it was his "final call", just before ending his life.
5 Jan 2017 - 9:11 AM  UPDATED 11 Mar 2017 - 9:44 PM

26-year-old Ramandeep Singh Hothi, an Indian immigrant reportedly committed suicide in his suburban Melbourne home in Hillside on Wednesday.

Raman’s wife and two children were in India at the time of the incident.

The reason for him taking the extreme step is still unknown.

His friends say he made a call to his cousin in India right before ending his life at around 2 am on Wednesday, telling him it was his “final call”. His cousin then heard a sound as if the phone fell on the floor.

Extremely worried, Raman’s cousin then tried to call his friends in Australia but his phone calls went unanswered in the wee hours of Wednesday. Friends in Melbourne came to know of his death only later in the morning.

The police attended the incident upon receiving information later in the day. 

"Police attended the death of a 36-year-old man in Sydenham yesterday about 12.15pm.  The death is not being treated as suspicious and police will prepare a report for the Coroner," Victoria Police said in a statement. 

Raman ran his own transport business in Melbourne and his friends said they knew him as a "strong" individual. 

"There was nothing that suggested he could take such a step," said Gursab Singh who drives a truck with the same company that Raman did business with. 

The last update on Raman's Facebook page before his death was on the New Year's Day. He had posted his picture wearing a magenta turban and wrote "Welcome 2017. Going for new inning".

Friends are now getting in touch with the Indian Consulate to get the body repatriated to his family in Jalandhar in India. 

If you or someone you know needs help, call: Lifeline on 13 11 14

For more news and updates, follow SBS Punjabi on Facebook.

Also read
Community mourns the death of a Melbourne based Indian-Australian man
Rupinder Singh's body was found in a park in Nunawading, a suburb 18 km east of Melbourne. The family and friends have expressed their grief on his sudden death.
'No work and mounting expenses drove Deepak to death'
A friend says Deepak's request to allow him to work was ignored despite the fact that he explained his "extremely difficult circumstances" to the authorities.
'Stressed over permanent residency' in Australia, Indian migrant ends his life
Deepak is said to have expressed his extreme dejection on Facebook just a day before he was found dead.