SBS Radio App

Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience

Advertisement
  • Uganda has experienced the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighboring Congo last year. (AAP)
A five-year-old boy and his grandmother have died after three cases of Ebola were confirmed in Uganda in a "truly frightening" phase of the spread of the virus.
English
By
Frank Mtao

Source:
AAP - SBS
14 Jun 2019 - 2:00 PM  UPDATED 15 Jun 2019 - 11:26 AM

Three cases of Ebola have been confirmed in Uganda - confirmation of the first spread of a deadly outbreak beyond the borders of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

A five-year-old boy died late on Tuesday, his grandmother passed away shortly afterwards, and his three-year-old brother is the third case. The family had recently crossed the border from DRC.

The little boy's family checked themselves into a local clinic after noticing symptoms.

He is now in isolation and is getting treatment from medical teams.

Save the Children say he is in the very best hands.

"He's just three years old, I would assume he is very scared and vulnerable at the moment," Save the Children's Alun McDonald said.

The Ugandan cases showed the epidemic was entering a "truly frightening" phase and was likely to spread further and kill many more people, one infectious disease specialist told Reuters.

The current Ebola epidemic began in August last year in eastern Congo and has already infected at least 2062 people, killing 1390 of them.

Until now Save the Children say the Ugandan ministry of health has done an excellent job of preventing the virus from reaching the country, "At the official border crossing there are screening points for Ebola that have been very effective. The ministry of health in Uganda has really been leading the efforts to prevent Ebola crossing, with great success."

More: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/two-dead-as-truly-frightening-ebola-spreads-to-uganda