The SBS programming team is responsible for acquiring completed programs for SBS ONE, SBS 2, NITV, World Movies and SBS On Demand.
SBS acquires programs from around the world that contribute to our goals to deepen Australians’ engagement with content that reflects our Charter and grow audiences. Acquired programs must complement the local content produced for Commissioned Content and fit within the established channel briefs and schedule strategies.
Acquisition Assessment Process
Programs are evaluated according to the following criteria:
• The SBS Charter
• Subject matter, including whether SBS has already acquired programs with a similar subject
• Schedule and timeslot requirements
• Quality of the production
• Relevance to SBS viewers
SBS only accepts submissions via email to email@example.com
For us to be able to consider your program, please supply us with the following information:
• Program/series title and duration/s
• Year of production
• A brief synopsis, or links to a trailer or any further useful information online
• Contact details of the producer or distribution company
• A short bio on the producer/writer/director
• Details of any award nominations or film festival exposure
Please note that due to the high volume of content we receive, we are not able to respond to every email. If we are interested in getting a copy of your program for assessment we will contact you to request materials. Please make sure you supply us with up-to-date contact details. Please note we do not accept unsolicited material, and only requested submissions will be considered by our Acquisitions team. We are unable to return any material supplied to us so please keep copies.
Our flagship channel for a mainstream TV audience that embraces and celebrates diversity around the world. We are passionate about the world around us and keen to know more. We want to feed our minds, step outside our comfort zones and experience the world’s best.
• Passionate intelligent talent
• Accessible documentaries with everyday relevance
• Drama and comedy with audience buzz and critical acclaim
• Documentary (60’): ancient history, event, science, male skewed adventure (series), female skewed history / biography, wildlife (series), ob doc (series), presenter-led history, exploring sexuality
• Food (30’/60’): travel, talent-led
• Drama (60’): male-skewed historic and premium serialised (English language), crime (non-English language)
• Comedy (30’): smart and buzzy (English language)
• Entertainment (30’ / 60’): panel, variety, talent-led (English language)
• Movies: world class star-studded thrillers, dramas and action
Our digital multichannel providing provocative and adventurous programming for viewers 16-39. Engaged, passionate and curious, we want to explore what’s now and what’s next – wherever it might come from.
• Cheeky, irreverent and informal
• Provocative, challenging and surprising
• Relevant to, and reflective of, our target audience
• Noisy, buzzy, shareable
• Comedy (30’): quirky, distinctive and daring (sitcom, sketch or animated)
• Entertainment (30’ / 60’): physical game shows, competitive reality or variety (English and non-English language), factual entertainment (science / technology, magic / illusion, adventure, relationships)
• Film (feature): cult and genre (action, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, schlock), drama and comedy with a strong youth voice (English and non-English language)
• Drama (60’): sci-fi, supernatural and high concept drama with cult appeal (English and non-English language), younger skewed thriller, provocative relationships
• Documentary (60’ / feature): youth-focused ob doc (series), travel / adventure (series), investigation, sexuality
The voice of Australia’s first people that shares our stories, cultures and traditions with all Australians. We inform, entertain and educate all Australians about our cultures, our people, our customs and we celebrate first nations cultures worldwide. We are real, unique, brave, edgy and above all, respectful.
• Inform, educate and entertain Indigenous people
• Strengthen the sustainability of Indigenous cultural heritage
• Accelerate the development of the Indigenous media industry
• Secure our (the Indigenous) voice
• Children’s Programming – focus on positivity, language, literacy and numeracy
• Lifestyle series
• Feature films – with strong indigenous participation or content
Exclusively available on the Foxtel Platform, World Movies is Australia’s subscription television home of international film showcasing the best cinema from around the world.
• International cinema with movies from over 40 countries in more than 70 languages
• Films that are liberating, provocative, sometimes explicit and sometimes shocking
• Risqué sensual content
• Exploitation cinema and films that push boundaries
• Independent film with recognisable faces
• Cinema classics and auteur works
SBS ON DEMAND
Our catch-up and online video channel for audiences wanting to watch SBS programs and movies whenever and wherever they like. We exist to explore and celebrate diversity in all its forms, whenever you want and on whatever device you’d prefer. SBS On Demand offers both catch-up and VOD content - available 24/7 and across 21 different platforms.
• Acclaimed art-house and foreign language movies
• Accessible documentaries with everyday relevance
• Compelling foreign language dramas