FIFA bans accused match-fixers

FIFA has extended bans handed down by FFA to five accused match-fixers to include any soccer-related activities around the world.

FIFA has slapped global bans on four English players and an Australian official amid a criminal investigation of match-fixing by Football Federation Australia.

FIFA said that the five individuals, who it did not identify by name, would be barred from taking part in any football-related activity until further notice.

The move by global football's governing body comes after the FFA's decision on September 23 to ban the five individuals from being involved in the game in Australia.

They were punished for bringing the game into disrepute by being charged with criminal offences related to match-fixing.

"FIFA continues to work closely with its member associations and the confederations to tackle match manipulation," the governing body said.

FIFA said that the blanket international bans would only be lifted once the individuals had been convicted in court and that the FFA adapted its own sanctions as a result, or if they were acquitted or had their charges dropped.

Last month, Australian authorities charged six men including a Malaysian and at least one Briton following an investigation into multi-million dollar match-fixing in the Victorian state football.

The charges relate to the alleged manipulation of results mainly for overseas betting at a second-tier Melbourne side called Southern Stars.

Goalkeeper Joe Wooley, 23 reportedly a British national, and the team coach were among five other men each charged with eight counts linked to corrupting the outcome of a betting event.

Australian media have reported that Singaporean Tamil Wilson Raj Perumal was at the centre of the investigation and was believed to have recruited British players from minor leagues, despite being under Hungarian police protection as a supergrass in local match-fixing cases.

According to Southern Stars, five players were brought in from England at the start of the season by an unnamed man who also offered to set up sponsorship.

The arrests followed a tip-off from the FFA, who said they had been alerted by international betting watchdog Sportradar, which had detected suspicious activity.

Match-fixing can attract a 10-year maximum jail sentence in Australia and lifetime football bans can be applied worldwide.


2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world