• One of the two Iranian men allegedly bashed by PNG police in New Year’s Eve (Supplied by the Refugee Action Coalition)
Police on Manus Island claim the two Iranian refugees injured on New Year's Eve had been 'harassing people and obstructing traffic'.
SBS News
5 Jan - 4:58 PM  UPDATED 5 Jan - 4:59 PM

Two Iranian asylum seekers held in Australia's detention centre on PNG's Manus Island who have alleged they suffered significant injuries at the hands of local police will face court this week.

Manus Province Police Commander David Yapu has defended the actions of his officers, the ABC has reported, saying officers used "reasonable force" to arrest the men.

He said the two refugees were obstructing traffic and harassing people.

"They were so violent at that time that the police had to use reasonable force to get them onto the police vehicle and get them to the police station," Commander Yapu said.

The men were due to face court on Thursday on charges of resisting arrest and being drunk and disorderly.

According to the ABC, the men have said they had not been drinking.

Benham Satah, an Iranian asylum seeker who met the men upon their release from Lorengau Police Station on the island, said they were "very injured" and one of them had a broken nose.

A spokesperson from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection told SBS: "The Department understands the individuals have been charged following the incident and as this is a matter before the courts, any questions would need to be directed to PNG authorities."

Refugees on Manus allegedly severely bashed by PNG police released from custody
Two Iranian refugees who were arrested after allegedly being bashed by up to 10 police on Manus Island on New Year's Eve have been released from custody.
Asylum seekers riot on Manus Island after refugee death: police
Asylum seekers held in detention on Manus Island briefly took control of two compounds and expelled guards following the death of a refugee who fell ill at the centre, Papua New Guinea police said on Sunday.
Sudanese refugee dies after being flown from Manus to Brisbane hospital
A young Sudanese refugee has died after a fall at the Manus Island detention centre in Papua New Guinea, Australia's Immigration Department says.