THE PRIME MINISTER'S PLAN TO DELIVER CHEAPER GAS:
* Introduce the Australian Domestic Gas Security Mechanism.
* The government will have the power to impose export controls on gas companies when there is a domestic supply shortage.
* Resources Minister Matt Canavan will impose the controls based on advice from the regulator and energy market operator.
* Companies will not be told how they will have to respond, with options including gas swaps.
* It is expected to apply only to east coast exporters and will comply with Australia's international obligations.
* It is a temporary measure, with boosting the supply of gas through removing state restrictions on exploration a longer-term solution.
* Consultation with industry before the July 1, 2017, start date.
Source: Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's statement