SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Census shutdown to cost taxpayers $30m

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has admitted the shutdown of the census website will cost taxpayers up to $30 million.

the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Census website
The shutdown of the census website will reportedly cost taxpayers up to $30 million. (AAP) Source: AAP

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Skip to article content

The body overseeing the census has admitted shutting down the online national survey will cost taxpayers up to $30 million.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics told a Senate estimates hearing on Wednesday night the 40-hour outage means the expected $100 million saving from moving the census online was now more likely to be about $70 million.

"We have to date probably incurred additional costs of around $20 million ... and we anticipate possibly spending another $10 million," chief statistician David Kalisch said.

Government frontbencher Zed Seselja admitted errors were clearly made but insisted many lessons had been learnt.

"The prime minister has made it very, very clear that it's unacceptable," he told reporters in Canberra.

"I'm sure the ABS has learnt its lesson."

Former cabinet minister Eric Abetz said many millions of Australians were inconvenienced by the "debacle".

"I think responsibility needs to be taken," he told reporters.

"But by whom and in what form, that is to be determined by those that are in charge."


News

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS Chinese

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

Simplified Chinese Collection

Watch onDemand

Stream now