SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

St Petersburg mourns after metro attack as death toll rises to 14.

St Petersburg mourns after metro attack
Source: SBS

1 min read

Published

By Madhura Seneviratne

Source: SBS News



Skip to article content

Fourteen people have died as a result of a blast that ripped through a train carriage on the Saint Petersburg metro, Russia's health minister said Tuesday.

"We can state today that 14 people have died," Veronika Skvortsova told journalists, adding that 49 people are still hospitalised after the explosion on Monday afternoon. Anti-terror authorities had earlier reported a death toll of 11.

Russian tricolour flags flew at half-mast as the city observed the first of three days of mourning.


Follow SBS Sinhala

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now