SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Central Turkish city blast killed several, Army says

A suspected car bomb has killed more than a dozen soldiers aboard a bus and wounded about 50 others in central Turkey's Kayersi following a blast, according to the Turkish Army.

The scene of a car bomb attack in central Turkey
An explosion in central Turkey has killed 13 soldiers and injured 48 others aboard a bus. (AAP) Source: IHA

1 min read

Published

Updated

By Nilgün Kılıç

Source: AFP, SBS World News, Reuters - SBS



Skip to article content

The Turkish Army said on Saturday that a car bomb attack on a bus carrying off-duty soldiers in the central city of Kayseri had killed several soldiers and wounded about 50 others.

Initial television pictures showed that the bus had been reduced to a smouldering wreck by the impact of the blast.

The Dogan news agency said that the blast took place opposite the Erciyes University in the city. NTV television said that there could be fatalities as a result of the blast.

The explosion comes a week after 44 people were killed in an attack in Istanbul claimed by Kurdish militants.

Turkey has seen a spate of deadly bombings in 2016 blamed both in jihadists and Kurdish militants that have left dozens dead.

One of the main cities of central Turkey, Kayersi is a key industrial hub that is usually seen as a peaceful area.

It is well west of the southeast of the country that has been hit by months of deadly fighting between Kurdish militants and the security forces.

 


Follow SBS Turkish

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

Turkish News

Stream now