SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

One dead, 10 injured in 'potential terrorist attack' near London mosque, May says

One person was killed and 10 others injured on Monday when a van collided with pedestrians near a North London mosque in an incident which is being investigated by counter terrorism officers, police said.

Major incident in London's north

4 min read

Published

Updated

By Ismail Kayhan

Source: Reuters, AFP



Skip to article content

One person is dead and several have been injured after a vehicle hit pedestrians in north London, police said Monday as Muslim leaders said worshippers were mown down after leaving a mosque.

"One man was pronounced dead at the scene," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said the incident was being treated by police as a potential terrorist incident.

"Police have confirmed this is being treated as a potential terrorist attack," May said. "I will chair an emergency meeting later this morning."

"All my thoughts are with the victims, their families and the emergency services on the scene," she said.

Police said eight people had been taken to three separate hospitals and two people were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

A 48-year old van driver, who was detained by members of public at the scene and then arrested by police, has been taken to hospital and will be subject to a mental health assessment.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), an umbrella body, said on Twitter, "We have been informed that a van has run over worshippers as they left #FinsburyPark Mosque. Our prayers are with the victims."

Harun Khan, the head of the MCB, said the van had "intentionally" run over people leaving night prayers for the holy month of Ramadan.

An AFP reporter could see a helicopter and several emergency vehicles at the scene, which was closed off by a wide police cordon.

Traffic was shut down on a section of Seven Sisters Road, where the incident happened.

"We saw lots of people shouting and lots of people injured," David Robinson, 41, who arrived just after the accident, told AFP.

MCB deputy head Miqdaad Versi said the incident happened "outside the Muslim Welfare House", which is on Seven Sisters Road near the mosque.

Bystanders rush to help victims near mosque at Finsbury Park

[videocard video="970803267526"]

The London Ambulance Service said: "We have sent a number of ambulance crews, advance paramedics and specialist responses teams to the scene.

"Our priority is to assess the level and nature of injuries and ensure that those most in need are treated first and taken to hospital."

Police described it as a "major incident".

'Evil violence'

Finsbury Park mosque was once a notorious hub for radical Islamists but has entirely changed in recent years under new management.

Its former imam Abu Hamza was jailed for life in New York on terrorism charges in 2015.

He preached there from 1997 to 2003 before being jailed for inciting violence. He was later extradited to the United States.

In 2015, the mosque was one of around 20 that took part in an open day organised by the MCB to promote better understanding of Islam following Islamist-inspired terrorist attacks in Paris.

Despite the change in leadership and new focus on community relations, the mosque reported it had received a string of threatening emails and letters in the wake of the Paris attacks.

"If this attack is confirmed as a deliberate terrorist attack then this should be classed as an act of terrorism," said Mohammed Shafiq, head of the Ramadhan Foundation community group.

"The British Muslim community requires all decent people to stand with us against this evil violence," he said, adding that "rampant Islamophobia has been on the rise for a number of years". 

Monday's incident in London follows three Islamist attacks in Britain this year.

On March 22, a man drove a rented car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a police officer guarding the British parliament to death before being shot dead.

Five people were killed in the attack.

On May 22, a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a pop concert in Manchester, killing 22 people.

And on June 3, three militants wearing fake suicide vests ran over pedestrians and went on a stabbing spree in bars in the London Bridge area.

They killed eight people before being shot dead by police.

We have sent a number of resources to an incident in Seven Sisters Road. More information will follow when we have it.


Follow SBS Turkish

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

Turkish News

Stream now