SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Sydney NYE revellers urged not to fear

Revellers are being urged not to be put off attending the Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks following terror threats at home and abroad.

Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks 2015
Revellers are being urged not to be put off attending the Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks. (AAP) Source: AAP

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Skip to article content

Revellers nervous about flocking to the Sydney fireworks on New Year's Eve after a counter-terrorism arrest are being urged not to be afraid.

A man charged with making threats related to New Year's Eve will face court on Friday following his arrest at Sydney airport after he disembarked from a London flight.

"My encouragement to everyone is to enjoy New Year's Eve as it comes, go in the knowledge that the police are doing everything they can to keep us safe," NSW Premier Mike Baird said in Sydney on Friday.

"Ultimately the best way that we can respond to the threats around the world is to fight for our freedoms, enjoy our freedoms, and part of that is ensuring that we go about our business and celebrate New Year's Eve."

The 40-year-old man is accused of posting threats of potential attacks on social media, which were spotted by members of the public in recent weeks and passed on to police.

It will be alleged the man, who was known to police, was acting in isolation and had no known links to terror groups.

"I can certainly assure everyone there is no current threat from that individual or any other person," Acting NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Frank Mennilli said.

An extra 2000 covert and overt police officers will be deployed across Sydney on Saturday as around 1.5 million people cram the harbour foreshore to see the fireworks.

Buses will be used as barriers at some Sydney pedestrian hot spots after trucks were twice used as weapons against crowds at densely populated events overseas in recent months.

Sydney parklands previously frequented by campers keen to snare prime vantage points will be cleared overnight and reopened in the morning, allowing police to start the day with a clean slate.

Mr Mennilli urged people to be vigilant against the threat of terrorism.

"If you see something that's unusual, you suspect something, make sure you let someone know," he said.

"At the same, I would encourage everyone to enjoy all the New Year's Eve festivities in a secure, safe, family environment."

Punters are being urged to plan their nights, allow plenty of travel time and drink alcohol in moderation.


Follow SBS Turkish

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

Turkish News

Stream now