Government in damage control over Census website failure

Thủ tướng Malcolm Turnbull

Thủ tướng Malcolm Turnbull Source: SBS

The federal government has moved quickly into damage control mode after the failure of the census web site due to a deliberate effort to sabotage the exercise.


Thousands of Australians were prevented from taking part in the census on Tuesday night (9 August) as the Australian Bureau of Statistics website couldn't be accessed.

The Bureau says the census website had been attacked four times and was shut down as a precaution after the fourth attack.

The government says it was an attempt to frustrate the Census, not a hack designed to steal data, and people's information is safe.

 


Share

Follow SBS Vietnamese

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our exclusive in-language podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now