• Rodrick Narrier died three days after falling into a coma following an arrest in Perth, Western Australia. (Supplied)Source: Supplied
The Narrier family allege their father was administered sedative medication that contributed to his death during his arrest in Perth in late October.
Rangi Hirini, Jack Latimore

20 Nov 2019 - 12:29 PM  UPDATED 20 Nov 2019 - 12:29 PM

**NITV has been given permission from Mr Narrier's family to use his name and image** 

The family of a 39-year-old Noongar man are demanding answers about the death of their father following his arrest at a residence in Perth, Western Australia in October.

Roderick Narrier's family claim police have not answered a number of their questions seeking to confirm whether their father had been given medication during the arrest that may have contributed to his death.

According to the WA police report, officers attended a domestic violence incident at a residence in Kewdale, 12 kilometres south-east of Perth's CBD, in the early hours of October 27.

In a written statement, a West Australian Police Force spokesperson told NITV News that three occupants from the house had restrained Mr Narrier before police arrival. 

“[Mr Narrier] was behaving erratically and aggressively. Police managed to restrain him, and due to concerns surrounding his behaviour, SJA [St John Ambulance] was then contacted to attend,” the spokesperson said.

Mr Narrier lost consciousness while being treated by ambulance officers, but was stabilised by the police and the ambulance officers after they performed CPR.

The 39-year-old was then taken to Royal Perth Hospital where he remained in a coma for three days before passing away on October 30.  

Mr Narrier’s sister, Monica Narrier, told NITV News that a doctor at the hospital had initially informed her that her brother had suffered from a cardiac arrest after the ambulance officers administered some form of medication. 

David Dungay inquest: NSW Corrective Services admit 'organisational failures'
NSW Corrective Services has spoken about the death of Indigenous man David Dungay.

No body cameras worn

NITV News approached both the WA police and SJA to confirm if medication had been administered to Mr Narrier. 

In an email to NITV News on Tuesday, SJA confirmed it had attended the incident and conveyed Mr Narrier in a serious condition to Royal Perth Hospital. 

But SJA said it was unable to comment further "due to patient confidentiality and also because this matter is under investigation by the coroner".

In a seperate email to NITV News, WA police said the questions regarding medication were "not for WA Police to answer" and revealed that none of the officers who attended the scene had worn body cameras. 

In March, the WA Police minister Michelle Roberts announced a state-wide roll-out of body worn cameras to frontline police officers. 

Speaking to NITV News, the Narrier family alleged that WA police had previously confirmed in a private meeting that their father was medically subdued, but they weren’t informed as to what specific medication he was given.

“We have no problem with no police, we’re fair people who believe in the good lord ... please just help and be fair and tell us the truth,” said Ms Narrier.

Black Deaths in Custody advocate, Mervyn Eades, has provided support for the family, including setting up the meeting with the police. 

“This case is quite shocking that this young man was subdued. He was arrested, he had handcuffs on, why did they decide to give an injection after he had handcuffs on?” Mr Eades told NITV News.

Mr Eades has also criticised the police for the lack of transparent communication with Mr Narrier's family. 

“When there’s a death in custody, it should be number one priority of transparency with the families and letting the families know what is going on with the death of their loved one and how it came about. That transparency is vital,” he said.

NT corruption boss steps aside from inquiry over 'Black Lives Matter' comment
The NT's corruption watchdog Ken Fleming will step aside from his role in the probe into the police shooting of Indigenous teenager Kumanjayi Walker.