September is a special birthday month for BTS! First was Golden Maknae Jungkook, who turned 21 (22 in Korean age) on September 1. Now it’s the leader RM’s turn on September 12!
Here are 24 facts about him – to mark the 24 candles he blows out today (25 in Korean age).
1. His real name is Kim Namjoon.
2. He used to be known as “Runcha Randa." His character in video game Maple Story doubled as a stage name when he performed as an underground rapper pre-debut. He even released a few tracks under this moniker, including collaborations with Block B’s Zico.
3. He has a younger sister the same age as Jungkook but when asked if he would introduce her to him, he said N.O.
4. He destroys everything he touches. Sunglasses, clothes, doorknobs, bunk bed ladders. You name it. Hence, his members call him the "God of Destruction."
5. He was the first member to join BTS and hence the first to enter their residence/dorm.
6. His famous quotes include “Jimin, you got no jams” and “Team work makes the dream work."
7. He’s really smart with an IQ of 148. He was previously ranked in the top 1% of the nation in his high school exams.
8. He’s really good at English. Self taught too.
9. He has studied before in New Zealand.
10. He likes to imitate his members.
11. He snores. Lol at Jin complaining about RM.
12. In Year 5, he dreamed about becoming an apartment complex security guard. Guess that explains his outfit for Dope.
13. He released a solo mixtape ‘RM’ with some pretty cool music videos for tracks ‘Do You’, ‘Awakening’ and ‘Joke.'
14. His nickname was ‘dance prodigy’ but actually he was so bad at dancing, his dance teacher and company staff called him that. Maybe he could dance battle with Chen, the ‘dancing machine’ of EXO.
15. His favourite dance move is swinging his arms side to side.
16. His favourite colour is black.
17. He gets his smile from his mum.
18. He has composed/written over 100 songs.
19. At 181cm, he’s the tallest member of BTS, towering over his members *cough Jimin cough*.
20. He once said in an interview that if he ever had a non-idol girlfriend, he’d want to write a song for her apologising for being an idol since his schedule is always so busy.
21. The superpower he wants is Invisibility.
22. If he was a girl, RM has said that the BTS member he would want to date is J-Hope because J-Hope is like the mother in their dorm!
23. He loves catching little crabs.
24. He has friends and relatives that live in Australia.
Happy birthday, RM!
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: