The 2016 Melon Music Awards take place last weekend, and the night's big winners included popular groups such as EXO, TWICE, BTS, and Black Pink. While most of the winners were accepted by netizens, some weren't particularly happy at the results.
Over at TV Report's (via Naver) coverage of the 2016 Melon Music Awards, a number of netizens expressed their disappointment at what appeared to be a bias towards artists from YG Entertainment, such as how Akdong Musician was in the Top 10 category while other notable artists such as Wonder Girls and Beast missed out, how iKON managed to win an award at the event, and how Black Pink managed to win the "Best New Artist of the Year" award over I.O.I:
1. [+10,259, -1,281] What did iKON even do this year to warrant them not only coming out to this ceremony but even receiving an award? And why were they given such a long stage time? (when Bolbbalgan Sachungi weren't given a stage at all). And it's weird that Black Pink somehow beat IOI to win the rookie award while Akdong Musician was in the top 10 which doesn't make sense (where were the Wonder Girls and B2ST?) YG, please throw your pride elsewhere..
2. [+9,129, -1,087] MMA was definitely biased towards YG. I thought they'd at least give the rookie award to both Black Pink and IOI; weird that iKON won an award, weird that AkMu was in the top 10 when the Wonder Girls should've taken their place
3. [+6,385, -501] JYP was totally ignored. Twice deserved a couple more awards and the Wonder Girls' 'Why So Lonely' wasn't super daebak but it did really well, didn't it?
4. [+1,379, -93] The Wonder Girls did so well digitally ㅋㅋ but they weren't in the top 10 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+1,221, -94] I don't understand why the Wonder Girls weren't in the top 10 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ they did so well digitally, this is hopeless. JYP actually did the best all year long;
6. [+1,600, -257] What is up with YG? What did they even do this year to deserve all those awards?
Beyond the disappointment of some netizens over the perceived YG Entertainment bias, some over at Nate's coverage of the 2016 Melon Music Awards were disappointed over the winners of the three major Daesang prizes, such as how BTS managed to win the "Album of the Year" award over EXO despite fewer sales, and how other artists like Urban Zapapa were far more deserving of the "Artist of the Year" award:
1. [+424, -164] I don't get how BTS won the album daesang when they were lacking in album sales ㅋㅋ shouldn't it have gone to EXO? I don't even get why EXO won the artist award when half of the group can't even sing, what makes them artists at all? Urban Zakapa is more deserving of that award than EXO
2. [+420, -94] Black Pink winning rookie ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ everyone knows it should go to IOI ㅋ but of course that disgusting Hyun Suk is pulling strings from the back..
3. [+50, -9] If you don't think BTS deserves the album award then EXO doesn't deserve their artist award either since Girlfriend and Zico had the higher score so why isn't anyone bringing that up?
4. [+47, -18] EXO winning the artist award?? ㅋㅋ A bunch of lip syncers are now called artists?! You have autotune and lip sync doing all the work but of course all their ch*nk fans will vote their way to being called artists~ tsk tsk
5. [+30, -8] These ceremonies are nothing more than all the big agencies rubbing their d**ks together
What did you think about the results of the 2016 Melon Music Awards? Do you agree or disagree with anything?