Every Monday, YouTubers Joey the Anime Man and Aki Dearest join forces to bring you The Anime Show, an hour that covers what’s hot, what’s not, what’s new and what you should be watching in the world of anime!
In the latest episode, Joey and Aki tackle a subject that all anime fans experience all the time - ridiculous anime cliches!
Seeing as how both Joey and Aki have watched a LOT of anime shows over the years, the duo have noticed some tropes and cliches that come up all the time in shows and decide to tackle them on this week's podcast. Without further ado, here are some of Joey and Aki's most ridiculous anime cliches (and what some would look like IRL):
- The "toast in the mouth" cliche - A character is late and for some reason is always carrying a slice of toast in their mouth as they run. Joey and Aki notice that it is an overly used way to show that someone is late, and upon testing it out IRL, Joey discovers that this cliche simply isn't feasible because the toast would simply fall to the ground!
- The "falling onto a girl" cliche - Whenever a male character bumps into a female character, he almost always knocks her down and they end up in some suggestive embrace when they land. Never mind the fact that anime characters seemingly have no coordination, Joey and Aki can't seem to figure out just how some of those suggestive embraces are even physically possible. They certainly didn't want to try IRL due to safety reasons!
- The "nosebleed" cliche - Whenever a male character sees a female character naked or in suggestive clothing, they always have a nosebleed for some reason. An anime cliche for many, many years, and something Aki wonders about regarding how much blood is actually needed to replicate what is seen in anime. For obvious reasons, Aki hasn't managed to figure out how to test this IRL yet!
- Anime characters always running - A more recent cliche, characters are always seen running during the opening credits. This really grinds Joey's gears because while he can understand running in shows like One Piece because it thematically makes sense, he can't stand when they put running into the credits of a slice-of-life high school show (of which there are MANY)!
For more anime cliches (and failed IRL tests) listen to the podcast below!
Listen right here to Joey and AkiDearest dissect anime's most ridiculous cliches:
You can subscribe to The Anime Show Podcast on iTunes and your favourite Android podcast player (rss).
How to listen
- Listen live on tablet or mobile via the SBS PopAsia app (iOS or Android).
- Listen via Wooshkaa
- Listen via SoundCloud
Get in touch
- Joey the Anime Man on Twitter at @TheAn1meMan and Facebook (TheAn1meMan)
- Aki Dearest on Twitter @akidearest and Facebook (OFFICIALakidearest)
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Download the app here: