Trainees usually have to wait a long time before they make their big debut in a K-pop group, and sometimes they may even leave their company before debuting with another group. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and there are those who may have missed out on the chance to debut with some of the most popular groups today.
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about idols who very nearly debuted with another group. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some K-pop idols who almost debuted with another group:
- I read today about EXID's Jeonghwa saying that (in an alternate universe) if she had stayed at JYP, she might've debuted under Twice and it got me wondering if there were any other debuted idols that could've ended up in other groups. She debuted under EXID at 16, so age-wise (and visually imo) she would have been a solid contender for Twice.
- Just for the recent: Daehwi (P101, W1) Jason (Mixnine, Ace), Yoochan (Unit, Ace), Jeon Woong (YG NBG), could have been in JYP new boy group
- KARD's Jeon Somin did debut with April as a lead vocal, but left the group within a year (to train with KARD, I assume?). I'm so glad she's with KARD now :)
Very famous case but Hyunseung of BEAST almost debut in BIGBANG. He also looks quite close to BB members except Seungri lmao. I believe the boys took a picture together as latest as 2015 cmiiw.
Also Mino almost debut in Block B. Block Winner are basically bros and I thank god everyday he didn't.
Shownu from Monsta X was almost in GOT7.
S.Coups from Seventeen almost debuted with Nu’Est.
Mino from Winner almost debuted in Block B.
Hui from Pentagon was JYP trainee and trained with GOT7.
- Seulgi entered SM in 2007 which means she could have debuted in f(x) but SM went with other 94 liners Krystal and Sulli instead. Meaning she would train for another 5 years and become the center for Red Velvet.
Luda from WJSN was supposedly in the final lineup for GFRIEND, but she left the company before they were able to debut.
Hongbin from VIXX was contacted by SM multiple times, but he joined Jellyfish because his idol Park Hyoshin was there. So he could have possibly been in one of the groups, which is interesting to think about considering his current image!
- When you think about it, Baekhyun and Chen were added into exo after only a few months of training. If they had held back and not added them in so early the next group that they'd both be in would be NCT and that's so weird to think about. An exo without baekhyun or jongdae but an NCT with them instead
- Wanna One's Park Jihoon might have debuted in ASTRO but he injured his knee. If he had stayed in SM, he might have debuted in an NCT unit.
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: