Kim Jong Kook’s original claim to fame was when he was a part of popular idol duo Turbo back in the 1990s. Since then has become highly-acclaimed solo singer with his albums topping the charts and a variety show superstar using his wit and strength to dominate shows such as Family Outing and Running Man.
Let’s get to know more about muscle man Kim Jong Kook!
1. Jong Kook is quite the popular wedding singer, in fact he’s sung for Yoo Jae Suk, Kang Ho Dong, Haha and Cha Tae Hyun’s weddings. (Hopefully he gets married soon too!)
2. While many believe Jong Kook is only strong he was quite the smart student back in his high school days. He has even completed his Master’s in Pop Cultural Performing Arts at Dankook University. (His brother is also a plastic surgeon!)
3. Jong Kook had the nickname of “Chocolate Abs” because every time he’d go on a show, the hosts would always request to see his abs. (I’m sure the audience loved it haha)
4. He is a mumma’s boy. Jong Kook loves his mother very much taking her along with him on vacation and overseas for his work schedule. (Awww!)
5. Jong Kook revealed that due to his love for working out he once got dumped by a former girlfriend!
6. He is very good at speaking English. Jong Kook originally learnt how to speak the language on his own so that his mother could travel abroad more easily. (His English sounds American and foreigners wouldn’t be able to tell it’s not his first language)
7. Jong Kook takes very good care of his body outside the gym, he doesn’t smoke, avoids fatty foods and only drinks alcohol for year-end parties such after an award show with the Running Man cast.
8. He has a unique singing voice that people compare it to a mosquito. I’ve never heard anyone since that sounds like him when he sings but that’s his ultimate charm.
9. Jong Kook played his first ever supporting role in the drama ‘The Producers’. While many expected him to fail he ended up doing a good job and proved his doubters wrong.
10. In 2005, Jong Kook received three Daesung (Artist of the Year) awards from KBS, SBS and MBC. The only other artist to do the same was Jo Yong Phil in the 1980s. (A remarkable feat!)
11. Jong Kook has reunited with former Turbo members Kim Jung Nam (1995-1997) and Mikey (1997-2000) releasing an album for their 20th year anniversary and most recently mini-album “Turbo Splash”.
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: