Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
1. What is the SBS National Languages Competition?
The SBS National Languages Competition 2018 is an exciting initiative to encourage and celebrate a love of learning languages in Australia. It’s a nationwide competition to engage all Australians and reflect on the cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity of Australia’s multicultural society.
SBS Radio encourages all Australians learning a language to participate in the ‘SBS National Languages Competition’ by sending us a photo or drawing that shows us ‘What amazing possibilities learning a language opens for you?’
For the first time, this year’s competition is open to Australians of all ages who are learning a language, including those learning English.
2. Why are we doing it?
As the world’s most multicultural and multilingual broadcaster, SBS Radio is proud to run this fantastic competition to encourage Australians to explore and celebrate what it is to be an Australian.
It celebrates diversity and contributes to the social inclusion and cross-cultural understanding of all Australians - linguistically, sociologically and culturally. It comes from the heart of SBS and speaks to our purpose of inspiring Australians to explore and celebrate diversity.
3. When does it start?
Competition entries are open from 09:00am on Monday 15 October 2018 (AEST) until 11:59pm on
Sunday 18 November 2018 (AEST).
4. Who is eligible?
For the first time, this year’s competition is open to Australian residents of all ages who are learning a language, including those learning English. The entrants are categorised into five groups:
Category A: Junior Primary (Aged 4 – 7)
Category B: Primary (Aged 8 – 12)
Category C: Junior High School (Aged 13 – 15)
Category D: Senior High School (Aged 16 – 18)
Category E: Open category (18+)
5. How to enter?
Given the diversity of ages and skills, we encourage parents, guardians and school teachers to guide younger entrants where needed, in uploading their photo and filling out an entry form.
- For Entrants under 18, parents or guardians should tick the box to indicate they have read the Terms & Conditions for the competition.
- Entry is open from 9:00am on Monday 15 October 2018 (AEST) until 11:59pm on Sunday 18 November 2018 (AEST).
- There can only be one submission per entrant. Group entries are accepted.
- Entry is as simple as the following steps:
Step 1: Go to www.sbs.com.au/nlc18
Step 2: Click ‘Upload Your Photo’.
Step 3: Upload your photo or drawing showing us ‘What amazing possibilities learning a language opens for you?’
Step 4: Include a caption written in the language you are learning as well as an English translation (not required for English learners)
Step 5: Submit your entry
6. What do participants win?
There will be five grand prize winners (one from each age category) who will receive:
iPad Pro for the winner and their school (or place of learning)
Winners will also be invited to attend the SBS National Languages Competition award ceremony at SBS headquarters in Sydney to be held in December 2018.
Selected winners who do not reside in NSW at the time of the above award ceremony will receive return airfares (for them and a parent/ guardian) from their capital city and one night’s accommodation in Sydney to attend the ceremony.
7. Helpful hints
Here are a few helpful hints when entering the competition:
- Some thought starters on your entry: What do you like about the language that you’re learning?
Why did you decide to learn this language?
- Get creative: It could be a photograph, drawing or collage. Perhaps of connecting with your
culture, exploring new countries and cuisines, a hobby or a job opportunity. A picture is worth a
thousand words and your photo entry could tell us that amazing story!
- Remember to include an appropriate written caption to your photo entry in a language that you
are learning as well as in English.
- Try to keep the English translation as accurate as possible.
- Entering the competition is possible from any device - computer, mobile or iPad.
- Have you filled out all sections of the entry form?
8. How is the SBS National Languages Competition judged?
Winning entries will be chosen for their uniqueness and creativity on both the photo or drawing and the caption.
Caption must be written in language as well as an English translation (not required for English learners). If the entry does not meet the required criteria or in any manner promotes content that is disrespectful, we may choose to disqualify the entry. Please read the Terms and Conditions carefully.
9. When will winners be announced?
One winner will be nominated from each age category, in total there will be five winners of the SBS National Languages Competition. Winners will be notified by email or phone in November 2018.
10. Key contacts
For technical problems and general enquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For media enquiries, contact Uma.Sandeep@sbs.com.au
11. Key Dates
- SBS National Languages Competition is open from 09:00am on Monday 15 October 2018 (AEST) until 11.59pm on Sunday 18 November 2018 (AEST).
- Winners will be notified by email and phone in November 2018
- Award ceremony will be held at SBS headquarters, Sydney in December 2018
12. Resources for schools
We need your support to make the SBS National Languages Competition a huge success!
To help spread the message, the following resources are available to download at www.sbs.com.au/nlc18
- Poster – Print-friendly A3 version to be pinned on the school notice boards to encourage participation
- Flyer – This is a more detailed A4 version aimed at teachers, parents and guardians
- FAQs – For teachers, parents and guardians
- Parent Permission Form
- Terms and Conditions
Please also share print-outs of the posters and FAQs documents with language teachers, parents and guardians.
Do you have a school newsletter that you can promote the competition in? We’d be happy to help schools with written copy and images needed as per requirement.