The Australian Government wants its future citizens to be aware of “Australian society and values.” So, each prospective citizen has to undertake a tough new test to show his/her knowledge of these values and respect these values in addition to the laws of Australia.
The Turnbull government has recently announced immediate changes to the national citizenship process.
The Australian Government wants its future citizens to be aware of “Australian society and values.”
WATCH VIDEO: Australian Prime Minister Introduces "Australian-Values" Focused Citizenship Test
But what are these Australian values?
According to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP):
- “Australian society values respect for the freedom and dignity of the individual, freedom of religion, commitment to the rule of law, Parliamentary democracy, equality of men and women and a spirit of egalitarianism that embraces mutual respect, tolerance, fair play and compassion for those in need and pursuit of the public good.”
- “Australian society values equality of opportunity for individuals, regardless of their race, religion or ethnic background.”
- “the English language, as the national language, is an important unifying element of Australian society.”
In summary, the Australian values include:
- Respect for the equal worth, dignity and freedom of the individual,
- Freedom of speech,
- Freedom of association,
- Freedom of religion and secular government,
- Support for parliamentary democracy and the rule of law,
- Equality under the law,
- Equality of men and women,
- Equality of opportunity, regardless of race, religion or ethnic background,
- A spirit of egalitarianism,
- mutual respect, tolerance, fair play, and compassion for those in need, and
- pursuit of the public good.
So, each prospective citizen has to undertake a test to show his/her knowledge of these values and respect these values in addition to the laws of Australia.
A tough new test to become an Australian citizen has been proposed.
This will include "new and more meaningful" questions.
Although, on ABC News, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was was landed some blows as he attempted to explain to journalist Leigh Sales his “Australian values” test.
WATCH VIDEO: Malcolm Turnbull grilled on New Citizenship Laws | ABC 7:30 Report
Once, a permanent resident is granted Australian citizenship, he or she must know that:
- “Australian citizenship is a shared identity, a common bond which unites all Australians while respecting their diversity.”
- “Australian citizenship involves reciprocal rights and responsibilities. The responsibilities of Australian Citizenship include obeying Australian laws, including those relating to voting at elections and serving on a jury.”
And finally, when a person meets all the legal qualifications for becoming an Australian citizen and his/her application is approved they have to undertake a pledge of loyalty to Australia and its people.