How does the 'singles social bubble' for NSW residents work?

People living by themselves are able to nominate one person allowed to visit them. It can be a family member or a friend, but authorities say they can't change that person once they have started the bubble.

dog woman lockdown

Source: Getty Images/Justin Paget

  • The nominated person can visit their single friend in their home, but it can't be the other way around.
  • The nominated person can travel more than five kilometres from the place of residence, but can't leave the lockdown area for Greater Sydney, or their LGA for regional NSW.
  • For those living in one of the 12 local government areas under tighter lockdown restrictions, the nominated person must live within a five-kilometre radius of their home and must be registered at Service NSW.
In New South Wales, singles are allowed to form a bubble with one other person, as the lockdown continues. 

The new rule means those living on their own are able to nominate one other person who can visit their home despite the restrictions.

"You cannot have a different person every day," NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said announcing the bubble at the end of July. 

Chief health officer Kerry Chant had that would occur due to the bubble system and households being a concern for virus spread, but mental health concerns outweighed the risk.

Who is eligible?

You can make a with one other person if you:

  • live alone or
  • are a single parent – with children under 18 years old.

What can you do?

  • The nominated person can visit you in your place of residence, on more than one occasion. 
  • You cannot visit them in their home. 
  • The nominated person can bring their children if there are no alternative care arrangements.
  • You can travel with the nominated person for exercise/outdoor recreation.
  • Both people are exempt from the current car-pooling prohibition and they do not have to wear a mask when doing so.
  • The person you choose for your social bubble cannot be in a social bubble with someone else.
  • If you have a disability, your carer or support worker can be with you when you visit the person in your social bubble if you have complex needs.

How far can you travel?

  • If you live in Greater Sydney, you can travel more than five kilometres from your home to visit the person in your social bubble, but you can't leave Greater Sydney.
  • People outside the must pick somebody who does not live in one of these areas.
  • Regional residents can't travel to Greater Sydney.
  • If you live in , the nominated visitor must live in the same local government area as you. 

LGAs "of concern"

For those under tighter lockdown restrictions: 

  • the nominated person must live in the same LGA
  • the nominated person must:live within a five-kilometre radius of your home.
  • you must register the nominated visitor in your “singles bubble” .
  • Once registered, you will need to keep a copy of your registration details. Your nominated visitor will need to carry a copy of the registration if they are travelling to visit you at home. You or your nominated visitor will need to show it to NSW Police if requested.
  • Bayside
  • Blacktown
  • Burwood
  • Campbelltown
  • Canterbury-Bankstown
  • Cumberland
  • Fairfield
  • Georges River
  • Liverpool
  • Parramatta
  • Strathfield
  • Penrith for the following suburbs: Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Mount Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair and St Marys.
old man getty
In the inner city 37 per cent of households are people who live alone and in Greater Sydney it’s 21 per cent, according to the deputy lord mayor of Sydney. Source: Getty Images/Westend61

How to choose

When you choose the person for your social bubble make sure they:

  • are an important person in your life 
  • you like to spend time with them 
  • you feel safe when you are with them.


Quarantine and testing requirements are managed and enforced by state and territory governments:

If you want to travel overseas, you may be able to apply online for an exemption.  for more information about the conditions to leave Australia. There are temporary measures for international flights that are regularly reviewed by the government and updated on the  website.

Visit the translated resources published by NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service:

Testing clinics in each state and territory:


Pandemic disaster payment information in each state and territory:

Readers seeking support with mental health can contact  Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636.

More information is available at supports people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

5 min read
Published 30 July 2021 at 11:42am
By Chiara Pazzano