The Australian Red Cross has been hit by almost 900 cyber attacks attempting to access the $216 million raised in donations for bushfire victims.
The charity has also received a large number of "suspicious" applications for assistance, its Australian program director Noel Clement says.
"We had very significant cyber activity from the outset," Mr Clement told the bushfires royal commission on Tuesday.
Mr Clement said there had been close to 900 electronically-generated "botnet" applications to date.
He said the Red Cross was also sorting through a number of suspicious applications for bushfire support, with police notified in some cases.
