A 12-month investigation by NSW Police and the Australian Federal Police has led to the arrest of three individuals linked to an alleged terror plot, which police say were targeting public venues in Sydney.
Authorities say the younger men were members of IS and the plot - which was in the "early stages" of planning - targeted police stations, defence establishments, embassies, councils, courts and churches.
AFP Assistant Commissioner Ian McCartney said the 20-year-old man from Greenacre had been monitored for the past 12 months since returning to Australia from Lebanon.
He was known to Lebanese authorities.
The 23-year-old from Toongabbie was allegedly "prominent in the global online extremist community".
The 30-year-old - an associate of the other men - is expected to be charged with obtaining financial benefit by deception through fraudulently claiming unemployment benefits. He too faces 10 years behind bars.
"There is no immediate threat to the safety of the community as a result of this activity," a NSW Police spokeswoman said earlier on Tuesday.
