Survivors of child abuse at the hands of a Christian Brother have erupted in anger as a judge sentenced him to a two year non-parole period.
Angry scenes erupted in a Sydney court after an ex-Christian Brother was sentenced to at least two years in jail for indecently assaulting boys at NSW schools more than 30 years ago.
Desmond Eric Richards, 76, pleaded guilty earlier this month to abusing four boys between 1972 and 1982 in Albury, Wagga Wagga and Strathfield in Sydney's inner west.
District Court Judge Peter Zahra on Thursday sentenced him to a non-parole period of two years after imposing a maximum sentence of three years and three months for the offences.
Shortly after the sentence was handed down and as Richards was escorted from the court, one of his victims shouted "you piece of f***g s**t, I'm going to drag you back in here and see you do 30 years."
Others vocalised their disappointment with the sentence while some could be heard to say "hear hear".
During each of the attacks in 1972, 1976 and 1982 Richards would isolate one of the boys and molest him, before subjecting his victim to weeks of physical punishment for minor transgressions.
"It's difficult to see how the conduct continued unabated for so long," Judge Zahra said.
"The complainants were either not taken seriously or were stalled by the order."
Judge Zahra noted Richards' frail condition, advanced age, numerous cancer treatments and signs his brain had lost mass, which might affect his memory.
The court had earlier been told that Richards claimed to have no memory of the incidents although the former brother has said he was "rocked" by the impact of his behaviour on the victims.
But Judge Zahra said his memory likely wasn't affected at the time of the assaults.
Outside court Richards' lawyer, Greg Walsh, said: "Though Brother Richards will find it difficult in jail - he's 76 and in very poor health - obviously there needed to be general and specific deterrence."
Richards has not taught in a Christian Brothers' school in 29 years.
One of his victims said he was happy his fight to be heard had finally ended.
"For forty years I've been telling my story and finally someone has listened," he told AAP outside court.
"I can move on."
The Christian Brothers apologised without reservation for Richards' behaviour in a statement and urged anyone with evidence of sexual abuse to go to the police.