SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

2,000 call for Mexican drug lord's release

A protest has been held in the home state of captured Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman calling for his release.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

About 2,000 people have demonstrated in support of Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman in his northwestern home state, chanting "release him" following his weekend arrest.

Dressed in white and accompanied by a folk band, the protesters marched in the Sinaloa state capital of Culiacan before being dispersed by some 200 police officers. One young man was injured in the head amid a shoving match.

In Mexico City, federal prosecutors filed new organised crime charges against the Sinaloa cartel leader, who has been held in the country's highest-security prison since his arrest Saturday.

The march, which included men, women and students, began in a church on a hilltop overlooking Culiacan and culminated in front of the city's townhall amid shouts of "Viva El Chapo."

One sign held by the protesters read: "Joaquin Guzman gave jobs, not like you corrupt politicians."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

A homemaker from Culiacan's blue-collar district of Las Coloradas said "El Chapo helps companies that support those in needs."

"El Chapo prevents other rival cartels from entering Sinaloa," said the 30-year-old woman, who refused to give her name.

Anonymous fliers were found throughout the city earlier in the day, calling on residents to demonstrate for "the release of El Chapo, hero of Sinaloa."

Although "narcocultura" -- the veneration of drug cartels through song and film -- runs deep in Sinaloa, it was the first known protest in favour of Guzman in the city of 675,000 people.

Mexican marines had nearly captured Guzman in one of his Culiacan homes a week earlier, but he fled through a tunnel hidden under a bathtub that was connected to the city's drainage system.

The marines, backed by intelligence provided by the US Drug Enforcement Administration, found Guzman further south in the resort of Mazatlan.

He was staying with his beauty-queen wife and two-year-old twin daughters when he was arrested without a single shot being fired after 13 years on the lam.

Federal judges ordered Tuesday that Guzman face trial on organised crime and drug trafficking charges. US prosecutors plan to seek his extradition.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world