SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Eels to have new NRL board by round one

Parramatta have called for applications for their new NRL board, which should be appointed before round one of next year's NRL competition.

A Parramatta Eels logo
Parramatta will aim to have their new board installed before the first round of the 2017 NRL season. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Parramatta will aim to have their new board installed before the first round of next year's NRL season.

As they look to put their horror 2016 campaign behind them, appointed administrator Max Donnelly on Wednesday called for independent applications to the the new seven-person board.

Applications will close on December 5, with interviews anticipated to take place throughout December, January and February.

"I would like to interview the people I think meet the criteria and then be able to appoint the board by the time the season starts," Donnelly told AAP.

In a bid to avoid the ghosts of the past, previous directors will be banned from taking up a position on the board.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Former players will not cop the same treatment, but Donnelly says a background in rugby league does not automatically qualify someone for the job.

"If someone was a great businessman and had wonderful ideas about how to raise sponsorships and didn't know a lot about football, that wouldn't stop them from being on the board," Donnelly said.

"Whereas if someone knew a lot about football, but nothing about business, it's not quite so good."

In a shake-up aimed at ensuring stability at the club, Donnelly will sit on the board for at least the first year to oversee operations while Jim Sarantinos will be the other Leagues Club representative.

It's also hoped individual selection, via an independent committee, will stop the political in-fighting which has previously sunk the club.

"There should be no factions, moving forward," Donnelly said.

"These five people will be individually appointed - they didn't go in with a ticket."

Parramatta's previous board was sacked following the salary-cap scandal which hit the club in 2016, leading to them being docked 12 competition points and fined $1 million for systematic rorting.

The club continues to cooperate fully with the Australian Tax Office and NSW Fraud Squad as investigations continue into the Leagues Club's actions during the period.

However, they have turned over a new leaf with chief executive Bernie Gurr beginning work last month, and he and coach Brad Arthur on the lookout for a new football manager.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world