SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Neuville won't drive to protect lead

Thierry Neuville still wants to approach this weekend's Rally Australia at full throttle.

Thierry Neuville of Belgium driving his Hyundai i20 WRC
Thierry Neuville still wants to approach this weekend's Rally Australia at full throttle. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Hyundai's Thierry Neuville admits he may be a little extra cautious at this weekend's season-ending Rally Australia, but doesn't want to change his tactics too much.

Neuville holds second spot in the drivers' championship, 14 points clear of Volkswagen's Andreas Mikkelsen.

A top-five finish in the last stage on Sunday will be enough for Neuville to clinch his first runners-up spot since 2012.

But he says he won't be changing his style to protect his lead.

"For sure you have to be a little more careful in some places," he told AAP.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"But I prefer to drive as myself. Go fast and just in the very tricky places maybe brake slightly earlier."

Drivers will complete the opening 11 stages on Friday, totalling more than 120 kilometres.

Relatively warm temperatures are forecast, which could play havoc with tyres on the road section.

Meanwhile a lack of rain could provide even more tricky conditions in the dust. Cars will be released three minutes apart in an effort to avoid visibility problems.

However that is not necessarily always enough if winds do not pick up.

"Still sometimes the dust gets stuck in the forest," Neuville said.

"It makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous."

The Belgian driver has surged from eighth in the championship earlier this year to hold onto second spot.

And while technical issues cruelled his chances in four of the earlier rounds, he will happily aim for second spot in the title race this weekend, with Volkswagen driver Sebastien Ogier having already wrapped up the championship.

"That's the place where we should be to be honest," he said.

"It would not have been possible to fight for the championship. Our car is still to improve but we made huge progress which is nice."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world