SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Henare unsure if Webster's days are done

Breakers boss Paul Henare says he's unsure if Corey Webster will wear the club's singlet again.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

New Zealand Breakers boss Paul Henare admits he's uncertain if guard Corey Webster will ever wear the NBL side's colours again.

Webster, 28, was hit with fresh charges on Tuesday for his alleged role in an early-morning Auckland bar incident, including assault and assault with intent to injure.

He will next appear in court on Thursday, having already been placed on indefinite injury leave by the Breakers to recuperate from niggling injuries.

Henare told reporters the club would let the case play out in court before acting, but couldn't confirm Webster would stay on.

The Breakers had been surprised by the extra charges laid against their star man, given his version of events and protestations of innocence.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

He is yet to enter a plea in court.

"Things may change in terms of how that case plays out for him, (but) until then we're in a bit of limbo," Henare said.

"Nothing changes from our point of view in terms of what Corey has told us, and right from the start he's come in and said he's innocent."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world