SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Mars denounces industry sugar report

The maker of Skittles and M&Ms has hit back at industry-funded research paper which said recommendations on sugar limits were based on weak evidence.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Mars Inc., the maker of Skittles and M&Ms, is breaking ranks with other US food companies by denouncing an industry-funded paper that says global recommendations on limiting sugar are based on weak evidence.

The paper drew criticism this week because it was paid for by a group whose members include Coca-Cola, Hershey, Red Bull and Oreo cookie maker Mondelez.

Mars - which is also a member of the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) - on Wednesday said the paper undermines the work of public health officials and makes all industry-funded research look bad.

Mars spokesman Matthias Berninger said the study, published by the Annals of Internal Medicine, creates doubt for consumers rather than helping them make better choices.

Emails obtained by The Associated Press show two Mars executives were copied on discussions about the research project last year. But Berninger said Mars was not a driving force for the paper and would make that clear to ILSI from now on that it does not support such work.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The situation highlights the potential for conflicts of interest in nutrition science.

Critics say the nature of nutrition research leaves the door open for companies to cherry-pick projects that make their products seem healthy, or cast doubt on science that suggests they fuel obesity.

ILSI executive director Eric Hentges said the group devised the concept for examining inconsistencies in sugar guidelines around the world. The paper clearly disclosed how it was funded, but said the authors "wrote the protocol and conducted the study independently from ILSI."

On Wednesday, the journal published a corrected version of the disclosure to state ILSI "reviewed and approved" the scope of the protocol, after the AP provided it with emails showing the group sent the authors "requested revisions" on the proposal last year.

Berninger said it was difficult to identify a universal recommended limit on sugar intake, or directly link sugar to specific health consequences. But he said even Mars realises people consume too much sugar, and wants to help them understand how to cut back.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world