SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Chelsea broke no rules in handling abuse allegations - Premier League

LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea did not break Premier League rules in failing to report allegations of historical sex abuse made by their former player Gary Johnson in 2014, a statement from English football's top division said on Thursday.

1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Johnson, 57, said earlier this month he had been abused by former Chelsea chief scout Eddie Heath in the 1970s, receiving 50,000 pounds ($61,430) from the club in settlement in 2015.

Heath died before the allegations became public and Chelsea apologised to Johnson on Dec. 3 for the abuse he suffered.

“After careful consideration, the Board has determined that no Premier League rules were broken by the club not reporting this matter to them in 2014," the Premier League said.

“The League has requested that Chelsea agrees to a full safeguarding audit from an independent safeguarding expert."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The statement added that Chelsea had agreed to the audit request as well as to provide the Premier League with a copy of an external review the club has committed to carry out.

(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Peter Rutherford)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world