SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Ley under fire over Qld apartment purchase

Health Minister Sussan Ley is under increasing pressure amid revelations she bought an apartment from an LNP donor while on a taxpayer-funded trip.

Main Beach, Gold Coast
Health Minister Sussan Ley is under fire for buying a $795,000 Gold Coast unit in this building during a taxpayer-funded trip to Queensland in May 2015. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Health Minister Sussan Ley is under increasing pressure to explain her use of taxpayer-funded travel entitlements while buying a Gold Coast apartment.

Ms Ley bought the $795,000 apartment in May 2015 from a Liberal National Party donor she had previously met.

The minister insists she was required to be in Queensland that day for a $1.3 billion medicines announcement at Brisbane's Wesley Hospital, before travelling to the Gold Coast to meet with patients.

"The property purchase was not planned or anticipated," she said in a statement on Friday.

Ms Ley said her husband accompanied her under family travel arrangements and all travel undertaken was in accordance with the rules.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Labor is calling for Ms Ley's resignation, insisting her claim the apartment was an impulse purchase doesn't pass the pub test.

Opposition health spokeswoman Catherine King said ministerial standards require diligence and the "non-blurring" of public and private lives, calling on Ms Ley to release her diary and details of who she met on the trip.

Ms Ley bought the home from Martin Henry Corkery, who donated $50,000 to the Queensland LNP in 2011.

Mr Corkery said he was living in Europe at the time his Main Beach Parade apartment was sold at auction and only found out Ms Ley had purchased it when he received the contract.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has defended Ms Ley, arguing she went to Queensland on legitimate ministerial business.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world