SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Man who killed wife on Gold Coast was on bail

A man who killed his wife in a murder-suicide on the Gold Coast had been on bail for an earlier assault despite police pleas.

Queensland police
A Gold Coast man who killed his wife in a murder-suicide had been on bail for an earlier assault. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A man who killed his wife on the Gold Coast had been bailed a fortnight ago for an earlier assault on her despite police protests.

David Bradford, 52, took his own life after killing his estranged wife Teresa, 40, while their four children were at their Pimpama home on Tuesday.

He had been charged with four domestic violence offences including choking, assault occasioning bodily harm, deprivation of liberty and common assault for a November 28 incident.

A specialist Gold Coast domestic violence magistrate allowed Bradford to be released on bail after his lawyer argued there was no criminal history, no independent witnesses and Bradford had been in custody for 44 days, News Corp papers said.

Police had objected, saying said he was in a "fragile mental state" and was "an unreasonable risk of causing self-harm or harm towards others".

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Bradford's lawyer Mark Donnelly told the Courier Mail there were "no indications whatsoever that he would do what he did".

"He had accepted the relationship had irretrievably broken down and was accepting of the very restrictive bail conditions that had been imposed, including having no contact with his partner," Mr Donnelly, of Krosen and Co. Lawyers, said.

A family friend said the relationship broke down after Bradford suffered a series of strokes.

"Last year he started having strokes and medical problems and turned on her," Debra Napper told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

The 52-year-old is believed to have broken into the Pimpama home some time before 6.30am on Tuesday.

The children who were in the home at the time of the attack ran to neighbours to raise the alarm.

Both were dead by the time police arrived at the Matas Drive address.

Queensland Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath promised to investigate the circumstances behind the decision to grant the man bail.

"If there is any issues to be looked at in relation to bail and court processes, certainly I will seek a brief on that," Ms D'Ath said.

National domestic violence helpline: 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT. In an emergency call triple-zero.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467.

MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world