SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Trials could be thing of the past: Sterlo

Rugby league legend Peter Sterling predicts NRL trials could be a thing of the past.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Parramatta great Peter Sterling predicts NRL trial matches could be a thing of the past as the game's elite face an excruciating 10-month slog in 2017.

Fans will get their first fix of footy at this weekend's Auckland Nines however some of rugby league's biggest names will be steeling themselves for an arduous year ahead.

The World Cup final will take place at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on December 2 meaning the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Shaun Johnson and Jarryd Hayne are facing more than 10 months of continuous football.

The pre-season schedule is becoming increasingly packed with next weekend's All Stars match, Cronulla and Brisbane taking part in the World Club Series in England and each club to play two trials.

Then with 26 rounds in the regular season, State of Origin and a four-week finals series, there is little rest between now and the end of the year.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Sterling said something had to give and predicted that because modern footballers were so well conditioned, trial matches were becoming unnecessary.

"It's a huge season for our elite players ... I think trial matches, we're probably getting past that now," Sterling told the Big Sports Breakfast radio program.

"When I played, and that was back when we just got electricity going, you played trials and it was something to get that match conditioning up.

"But the way that they train now and they only have short-ish breaks, and a lot of them are coming off tour with the Four Nations, (trials) are not as essential now."

Penrith boss Brian Fletcher last week called for the Auckland Nines to be scrapped because it represented an unnecessary risk to the club's premiership ambitions.

Manly coach Trent Barrett last year labelled it as dangerous after Jamie Buhrer (broken jaw), Jake Trbojevic (concussion), Jorge Taufua (hamstring) and Jayden Hodges (knee) all suffered injuries at the tournament.

However, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg on Thursday issued a resounding vote of support for its future, saying it was only going to get bigger and floated the idea of taking it further abroad.

"It's exciting to see players like Bevan French come through as he did on the back of the nines last year," Sterling said.

"That's the real positive part of it, it generates good publicity.

"The downside is you can pick up an injury that can be real hurtful to your premiership campaign."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world