SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Benitez says he is committed to Newcastle

LONDON (Reuters) - Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez assured fans he was not about to walk away after media reports suggested he was frustrated by the club's lack of signings in the transfer window.

Benitez says he is committed to Newcastle
(Reuters)

1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Newcastle are second in the Championship, a point behind leaders Brighton, and on course for a swift return to the Premier League.

"I will not quit. I will not leave," the Spaniard told reporters ahead of Saturday's game against former Newcastle manager Steve McClaren's Derby County.

"At the end of the season, I expect us to win promotion and we will enjoy and be happy. We cannot be blaming each other now after the transfer window, we have to be sure that we concentrate on getting three points from every game."

Former Newcastle winger Andros Townsend had been widely linked with a move back to the club from relegation-threatened Premier League Crystal Palace during the January transfer window.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Palace manager Sam Allardyce told reporters there had been interest from Newcastle in a loan deal but that was never going to happen.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world