SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Gallen to wait on NRL retirement call

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen says he is yet to make a call on whether 2017 will be his final year in the NRL, planning to wait until midway through the season.

Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen
Cronulla captain Paul Gallen says he is yet to make a call on whether 2017 will be his final season. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen insists he is yet to make a call on whether the 2017 season will be his last as he embarks on his 17th year in the NRL.

Gallen will turn 36 in August and signed a one-year contract extension with the Sharks last year.

There was some recent suggestion that he was looking to push for a further deal into 2018 - but he says he is in no hurry to make a call.

"I haven't put a date on anything," Gallen said at Thursday's NRL season launch.

"I haven't made a decision on what I'm going to do next year but I've heard these whispers that I'm going to play again.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"But I can assure you I haven't said to anyone that I'm going to play again, I haven't said to anyone that I'm going to retire."

Instead, Gallen said he would wait until the middle of the season before making a decision on his future.

The 279-game NRL veteran last year announced his retirement from representative duties, ending a 10-year stint as a permanent fixture in the NSW line-up.

Even given the fact Gallen hasn't played more than 20 games in a season for the Sharks since 2011, he said he didn't expect the club-only approach to change his game too much in 2017.

"I don't think it will have any impact to be honest," Gallen said.

"I'll play the same way I do every week, I've got a job to do."

Regardless of how good his own form could be though, the 24-game Origin player said he didn't expect either he or NSW coach Laurie Daley to be tempted into a comeback request.

"I don't think there will be any need for him to come calling," Gallen said.

"There are plenty of blokes who have come along now.

"I had hold to fort long enough to hold on until there were Origin players and I think there are a few now."

Meanwhile, fellow NRL veteran and Gallen's Origin rival, Johnathan Thurston, confirmed he was having no second thoughts about making 2017 his last season in representative football.

"It was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make but I'm comfortable with the decision I've made," Thurston said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world