SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

We don't hold a grudge against Foran: Eels

Parramatta say they don't hold a grudge against Kieran Foran, despite his decision to terminate his four-year deal with the NRL club.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Parramatta have given their blessing to Kieran Foran's move to the Warriors, insisting there's no bad blood despite his mid-season exit last year leaving them in the lurch.

Foran will come up against his former side for the first time in a round-six NRL blockbuster at Mt Smart Stadium which will be filled with intrigue.

The former Kiwis Test playmaker was granted a release by the Eels in July to address personal issues less than one season into a rich four-year deal.

The Eels moved to ensure there was no ill feeling between the club and the 26-year-old, saying they had moved on and wished him well.

"We're looking through the windshield and not the rear-view mirror," chief executive Bernie Gurr said at Friday's announcement of the club's new independent board.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"There's so many things we need to work on here at Parramatta. Kieran's well-being is very important. Everyone wants to see Kieran fit, well and doing what he does.

"We don't want to waste any energy being vindictive about what happened here at Parramatta with Kieran Foran. He goes and plays with the Warriors - good luck to him. We've got our own club to worry about."

Foran's exit was one of many body blows which rained down on the Eels during arguably the most-tumultuous year experienced by a NRL club.

While the salary-cap scandal, domestic violence allegations levelled against Semi Radradra and Corey Norman's ban for a string of indiscretions all took their toll, Foran's exit had one of the most-lasting effects.

Foran was recruited as a marquee star and the Eels hoped to rebuild Brad Arthur's side around him.

After checking into a rehabilitation facility to address personal problems following the breakdown of his long-term relationship, he signed with the Warriors on a one-year deal.

He last week received permission from the NRL to return in round three but the Eels said they had no problem with him turning out in Warriors colours in 2017.

"That was an agreed release," Gurr said.

"These situations are never black and white. There's a lot of grey areas in everybody's situation. Unless you're looking at all those different grey areas around the Kieran Foran situation, it's very, very difficult to measure where you're at.

"From our club's point of view, that ship's sailed. We have to look forward."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world