SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Final report on MH370 in coming months

The final report into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is expected to be released in coming months.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Work is continuing on an investigation into MH370, including profiling the flight crew and the jetliner's airworthiness, as the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight marks its third anniversary.

The Malaysian arm of the International Civil Aviation Organization said in its third interim statement on the tragedy, released on Wednesday, that investigators are working on finalising findings on eight relevant factors.

These include the diversion from the flight path, the aircraft's cargo, and the organisation and management information of Malaysia's Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

Malaysian ICAO says because the wreckage and flight recorders have not been found, vital evidence to determine why the Boeing 777 diverted from its flight plan route is lacking.

The black boxes can survive for two years or longer in salt water up to 20,000 feet or just over 6km, which is the deepest water depth encountered in the now-suspended southern Indian Ocean search.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

One of the many unsubstantiated theories attempting to explain the plane's disappearance surround a large amount of lithium-ion batteries that were in the cargo hold, which may have exploded.

The UN's International Civil Aviation Organization banned carrying the batteries on passenger planes last year.

Other theories have centred on a rogue pilot, which has deeply offended his family.

Malaysian ICAO said a final report on the mystery will be made publicly available in coming months and despite limitations in available evidence, several key issues within the civil aviation system had been identified as needing improvement to enhance safety in the future.

The only debris to have been determined as definitely being from MH370 is a wing part known as a flaperon that was found on the French island of Reunion in July 2015.

Also on Wednesday, according to a lawsuit filed in the US on behalf of the families of 44 people who were on board, seven electrical and other failures may have led to the crash including electrical fire and depressurisation of the plane's cabin, which could have led to the crew losing consciousness.

University of Western Australia oceanography professor Charitha Pattiaratchi, who correctly predicted where the first piece of suspected debris would wind up, said on Tuesday he believed he had worked out where MH370 crashed, using reverse drift modelling.

The Boeing 777 disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014 with 239 people on board.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world