SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Police join Simona charity funds probe

The NSW police organised crime squad has joined the NRL in investigating stood down Wests Tigers player Tim Simona's dealings with charities.

Wests Tigers centre Tim Simona
The Rugby Football League have closed the door on any chance of Tim Simona playing in England. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

NSW police have joined the NRL in investigating Tim Simona's dealings with two charities and whether he had failed to forward money raised from auction items.

"Detectives from the organised crime squad continue to work closely with the NRL integrity unit on a number of matters," a police spokesman told AAP on Thursday evening.

"No further information is available at this time."

The 26-year-old Wests Tigers' centre is already facing a possible life ban over alleged gambling offences and has been stood down indefinitely.

This week, Simona faced the integrity unit to respond to the charges after being handed a notice to cancel his registration.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

During his interview, he was also questioned about his charitable dealings. The Nine Network has named the two charities as the Sharlz Taki Foundation and Camp Quality.

A NRL spokesman said he was questioned about several social media posts relating to jerseys he was putting up for auction.

He is facing scrutiny over whether all of the money was delivered to the charities.

The integrity unit hasn't handed down its verdict and Simona is facing the prospect of being rubbed out of the game indefinitely.

He has reportedly been accused of placing small bets on opposition players.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has maintained the game must take a strong stance on betting violations and match-fixing.

In London, the Rugby Football League (RFL) had earlier closed the door on any possible chance of Simona salvaging his career in England.

There had been speculation Simona may have been allowed to play in the Super League, where Todd Carney was handed a lifeline after being sacked by Cronulla in 2014 after his infamous bubbler incident and deregistered by the NRL.

However, a RFL official said no team would be permitted to sign a player serving a NRL ban and Simona's case was very different to that of Carney.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world