SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

FIFA's Sudan ban disrupts African club tournaments

The indefinite ban on the SFA comes over alleged government interference in its affairs and after the forcible eviction of the FIFA-recognised leadership from the association's headquarters in Khartoum.

FIFA's Sudan ban disrupts African club tournaments
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

FIFA had given Sudan until the end of June to sort out a compromise between two rival factions claiming control of the country's football and the failure to do so has resulted in suspension, world football's governing body said on Friday.

It means three Sudanese clubs, all in with a chance of reaching the quarter-finals of the African Champions League and African Confederation Cup, have been prevented from playing their final group games.

By virtue of the enforced forfeit, they are disqualified from the competitions, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) confirmed on Friday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Khartoum's two most popular clubs, Al Hilal and Al Merreikh, were paired in the same group in the Champions League and both still had a chance to qualify on Friday. But with their matches against Etoile Sahel of Tunisia and Ferroviario Beira of Mozambique cancelled, their opponents now advance.

Al Hilal Obayed, the surprise package of the Confederation Cup and already in the last eight, were in Zambia for their final pool match against Zesco United on Sunday which would have determined top place in Group C. They also stand disqualified.

The ban also means CAF must scramble to find new referees for Saturday's Confederation Cup tie between Platinum Stars of South Africa and Swaziland's Mbabane Swallows as the Sudanese trio appointed may no longer officiate the game. FIFA, who take a strong line on governmental interference in the running of member associations, want the SFA leadership of Mutasim Gaafar restored to office.

Last month, Sudan's Ministry of Justice had him removed, with police violently evicting members of his executive, and replaced by Abdel Rahman Elkatim.

"The suspension would be lifted once the decree of the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Justice of 2 June is declared null or void and the Board of Directors of the SFA with its President, Dr Mutasim Gaafar, is reinstated," said a FIFA statement.

World football’s governing body sent a delegation to Khartoum mid-June to meet the country’s sports minister to seek a solution but the factions failed to agree the direction advised by FIFA officials, it added.

(Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world