SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

AFL boss backs teeth of drugs code

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan says the revised illicit drugs policy strikes the right balance between welfare, education and punishment.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan continues to staunchly defend the controversial illicit drugs code, saying it strikes the right balance between carrot and stick.

McLachlan said on Sunday he feels for the first player who tests positive a second time under the reworked policy and has to cope with a four-game suspension.

The illicit drugs code, separate to the standard anti-doping policy, was back in a harsh spotlight late last month.

According to a newspaper report, up to 11 Collingwood players returned positive hair tests in the off-season.

On Friday, McLachlan blasted critics who want zero tolerance as zealots.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Two days later, he said the revised policy, which reduced the number of "strikes" from three to two, had sufficient teeth.

"There's a fair stick there," he told the ABC.

"The first player who has a second strike and misses four games ... will have a very tough time of it.

"That's a significant deterrent, we hope."

McLachlan added that there must be a significant welfare and education element to the code as they aim to stop players doing illicit drugs.

"This balance between education, welfare and a stick as well - I think we have that right," he said.

"I don't know any parent who would want to out their child the very first time an 18-year-old kid makes a mistake - hang them out and shame them publicly.

"No expert, whether they be police or experts in this area or doctors, says it's the right approach either."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world