SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

All Blacks coach Hansen to stay on until 2019 World Cup

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - All Blacks coach Steve Hansen set his sights on capturing a record third successive Rugby World Cup title after announcing on Monday he has extended his contract with the side through the 2019 tournament in Japan.

All Blacks coach Hansen to stay on until 2019 World Cup
(Reuters)

3 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Hansen, who has helped bring unprecedented success to the All Blacks, had indicated after their successful World Cup defence in England last year that he would probably walk away after his original contract expired at the end of 2017.

However, he appeared to have had a change of heart this year and dropped hints that he could decide to stay on after the British and Irish Lions tour in 2017.

Hansen said on Monday he had finalised his decision after talking it over with his family and New Zealand Rugby (NZR), and gauging the support of senior players.

"It's not a decision that was made easily or lightly," Hansen told reporters in Wellington. "I had to be certain, but having got the feedback from management and the players that they wanted me to continue ... it was a no brainer.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"It's the best job going. I love what the All Blacks are, the history that comes with them and the legacy they have created. I just love being a part of it.

"There is a challenge to go through to 2019 and go for three (World Cups) in a row because it has never been done before and it's a real challenge for this team and one they want to get up for."

The 57-year-old has been involved with the team since becoming an assistant to Graham Henry in 2004 and took the top job following the successful World Cup campaign at home in 2011.

The All Blacks, who open their Rugby Championship campaign on Aug. 20 against the Wallabies in Sydney, have had unprecedented success since Hansen took over, compiling a record of 52 wins, three losses and two draws.

They also became the first team to win successive World Cup titles in England last October, but several veterans ended their international careers afterwards and pundits believed the team might be vulnerable this year.

However, they completed a 3-0 series sweep of Six Nations runners-up Wales in June and Hansen said while that result had reignited his enthusiasm he had only made up his mind to continue "in the last week".

Hansen's decision was likely to help players make up their minds about their immediate futures, NZR Chief Executive Steve Tew said. Only seven have committed to the organisation through 2019.

"We have got some pretty intelligent senior players and they're making some long-term decisions as well," Tew said,

"What Steve was doing was part of those discussions."

(Editing by Peter Rutherford)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world