SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Aloisi to stay if Roar fix off-field woes

John Aloisi wants to stay at the helm of the Brisbane Roar for the long term but wants off-field security before he puts pen to paper on a new contract.

Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi
Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi says he wants to stay on but wants off-field problems fixed. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi says he wants to stay with the A-League club for the long term - but only if the off-field problems of the last few years are solved for good.

Like nearly a dozen players at the Roar, Aloisi is coming off contract at the end of the season and is in discussions with managing director Mark Kingsman over a new deal.

But he won't put pen to paper until he receives assurances they won't encounter yet another pre-season interrupted by financial dramas and internal disputes.

"I've always mentioned I want to stay at Brisbane Roar. Do I want to go through what we've been through the last two pre-seasons? No. They're the discussions we're having," Aloisi told reporters on Thursday.

"I want to make sure the club is going to head in the right direction because I want to be a part of that, because it's unfair for everyone involved if that's going to be the case.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I don't want that to happen, for the players, for whoever works within the club and the fans. I'm confident I'll be staying here and I want to stay."

Aloisi's assistant and brother, Ross, is also out of contract.

The pair were reportedly being hunted by Adelaide United as a replacement for Guillermo Amor, should he not continue as coach next season, but immediately dismissed any links when they arose last month.

The Roar have lost their last two matches and face red-hot Melbourne Victory on Friday night at AAMI Park.

Aloisi doesn't think their dip in form is because so many key figures at the club - among them striker Jamie Maclaren, defender Luke DeVere and midfielder Dimi Petratos - face uncertain futures.

"It's easy to say when the results don't go well that something's a distraction. I don't look at that," he said.

"Contract talk with every club can get to be a distraction. Older boys can handle it a little bit better, because they've been through it before. Younger boys, it's new to them.

"But it's part of learning, it's part of improving as a player and gaining that experience so it doesn't become a distraction in the future. Out here they focus on their football and performing well."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world